Wednesday 30 September 2015

#EXMODEL Risks, Exposed and The Future

Early Retirement 


This week I decided to retire from modelling. It's been 6 years of the most crazy up and down years of my life. I will thank the industry for, making me who I am, learning to stand up for what I believe in and the amazing travels, people and experiences I have enjoyed and the business knowledge I have gained.

I have thought lots of times if I should take a risk and write this risky blog post or not but I want closure and I feel in my own little way this gives me it.

Their are certain things that have effected me from modelling and pit falls I also wish to warn all about. Also young vulnerable people need more protection and control.

My Story
I remember the first time I was scouted, I was 16 and scouted by agency called storm, which I would come to hear loads about when I was older.  She handed me a card with a picture of Kate Moss's face on and said come to office please! I was so chuffed I kept in my wallet and would keep getting to out to check it was real.

I told my parents about it but they wasn't impressed and told me I was too young. This may have been the one of best decisions they ever made for me as I prob would have caved and done whatever agencies wanted to do and done things I was uncomfortable with just to please photographers and brands.

At 19 I still kept getting scouted although mainly through smaller agencies and I thought I'm gonna go for it. I managed to do alright at modelling even if I was "1 and 1/2 inches to short to hit the big time." đŸ˜‚ but there are certain things I think should be shared.

Weight, measuring and big hips
A lot of big agencies give their girls food issues by constantly weighting them and measuring them and also I have heard stories of big agencies giving girls things they shouldn't be. This makes my blood boil.

I personally began to really like stick thin legs. I always looked at girls skinny legs and thighs that didn't touch. 

•Agencies I found awful to work for ...Oxygen

 Eeek man the horror stories I have heard from models too. I remember I was personally signed with Oxygen for like 2 months or something... I remember when I met them they spoke about how my hips where pretty large for my body size (My hips are the same size as Kate Moss...who knew we were bigger then average) and I also remember them being so mad I wasn't at a casting.  When I said I was in hospital so couldn't go, they didn't even say sorry to hear that and still said why couldn't I get to the casting. They also kept going on about being short and not a fashion model.

I spent years after that thinking I had big hips why my friends and strangers would come up to me and say I was super skinny. The truth was the doctors believe I was wasn't well this whole time with some kind of parasite or immune disease for years and that's why I was skinny and yet this was being celebrated in the fashion world and people were telling me how ill I looked in the real world. I now strive to be more curvy and realise just how crazy it all was.

I would NEVER ever work for

 • Now I'm also going to expose a fraud modelling company called Matching Models. They don't pay models for their work and owe thousands. They even sent me and about 15 other girls to India and didn't pay any of them. They only paid me because I started legal action against them. Why I was in India I also got bundled in a car which my 
agents put me in with a group of girls and some indian guys tried to drive off as my agents were drunk and didn't care. I never talk about this story ever,..... a lot of stress for a 21 year old huh. 

I have a 2 or 3 other awful stories but I don't want to share them as they bring back bad memories and this isn't some kinda sob story/ Jeremy Kyle show! Haha

Know The Facts

I have also honestly prob not been paid by agencies and jobs around 10 times and been too young or stressed to know what to do or how to seek legal action.

Another point bearing in mind, if your considering being a model is how you would cope with constantly being told you nearly got the job but the "other girl had longer legs" "Oh you have been selected for a £25,000 advert," (Literally you dance round the room)....3 minutes later.... Oh sorry they chose another girl. (Literally you feel blurgh) 

This is a daily thing you have in your life and being constantly dropped or loosing jobs will effect you, even if you are a real strong personality.

I know what your thinking but "Their all rich though and i saw her sipping champagne of instagram" ...

Right ok there's something called,  'THE EXPECTATION"  For example we will use Rosie Huntingdon, as an example, really famous and yes rich. This is rare. Stuff most dreams are made of.

"THE RULE OR REALITY"

 Most models prob earn the same as you or maybe some months less. They will spend years chasing after that next job that will make them rich. Their are thousands of models in London and hundreds per job.

(You can apply the above rule to most things like people that say their marriage is trips to Rome every day and red roses... In reality for most couples a good night with an Indian take away and a night when your husband is not farting!) Haha

Beauty In Everyone 

I am grateful however for how modelling has taught me to never be like some of the stealing, manipulative people that I have in accounted in life, the business knowledge, the in built determination to stand up for what I believe in that grew every day and as I leave to focus on both my businesses which I'm very proud of I will always do my upmost to make sure influencers, models and brands are always treated with respect, honour, and know that every one is beautiful and special in their own way and beauty does not have to mean being 5'10, pint sized and blonde. 

The time for 'Treat em mean and keep em Keen' is gone and thanks to social media we can chose our own Hero's, fashion icon's, and Go to beauty bloggers. It's time for #peoplepower. We get to chose who we want to FOLLOW!

Social Media Supermodels 

 Also you guys with tons of followers on social media taking free pictures for big brands/corporations. Don't do it, your literally #workingforfree and your letting the Huge Brands and PR companies roll in money and probably buy super yachts  at your expense! You are all the super models of the future. #SUPERINFLUENCERS will be the thing of 2016.



The End
In complete conclusion guys, my words are very honest but I will try and take the good things away from modelling, I encourage everyone to always stand up for honesty, view every person with respect and realise that there is beauty in everyone and everything...and yeah I know I sound cheesy but this is what I will try and do. (Also, sorry if my spelling is a bit off, I'm writing this at 2am on my phone why I have some time and feel brave!) 

Lots of love and have a good day guys. 

Lo xxxx

#EXMODEL #EVERYONEISBEAUTIFUL #SAYNOTOFREEWORK hashtagsssss galore!








1 comment:

  1. Well said Lois! Onward and upward for you, building a business that is everything your experience hasn't been! Sarah Bill xxx

    ReplyDelete